- 1 can (125 g) M’Lord snails, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (250 ml) red wine
- 4 filet mignon steaks, approx. 7 oz (200 g) each
- 1-1/2 cup (375 ml) fresh mushrooms
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 1 piece of Sir Laurier cheese, 160 g (1/3 lb), finely sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) port wine
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) white wine
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) veal stock
- 1 tsp (5 ml) honey
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- In a bowl, marinate snails in red wine in the fridge for 30 minutes. Drain snails and reserve red wine.
- In a skillet, sear the meat in olive oil for 3-4 minutes on each side. Place meat on a baking sheet and continue cooking in oven for approx. 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the same skillet, sweat the shallots and garlic in olive oil for approx. 2 minutes. Deglaze with sherry vinegar or port wine. Reduce by half. Add white wine and reduce again. Add sprigs of thyme and rosemary, and veal stock. Let simmer uncovered until sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, sauté mushrooms in butter and keep warm.
- Remove sprigs and strain sauce. Return sauce to skillet, add drained snails and honey, and let simmer over low heat.
- Place slices of cheese on steaks and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Let stand for a few minutes and serve with sauce, mushrooms and mashed potatoes.